On a hot summer day, nothing is more refreshing than a smoothie, especially our Mango Ginger Smoothie. Packed with nutrients and freshness, our Mango Ginger Smoothie will keep you satiated for a few hours. It is a meal in itself or can be used as a post-workout snack. Adding ginger gives it that extra zest and spiciness. If you are new to using fresh ginger in a smoothie, you may find it a little strong. So start small until you get used to the taste, then increase the amount as you feel more comfortable.
Ginger – A Powerful Nutrient
Ginger is a healthy ingredient to add to any meal, including smoothies like our Mango Ginger Smoothie. Ginger is known for its gastro-intestinal benefits. It can help alleviate intestinal gas and be quite soothing and relaxing for the intestinal tract. It has also been studied for its effective way of relieving nausea in general, as well as symptoms of motion sickness. It is safe to use, even in pregnancy.
Gingerol, an active component in ginger, has also been studied for its effectiveness at reducing inflammation, including joint pain in arthritic patients.
Some studies have shown, that the anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory effects of ginger may be effective at reducing or preventing various types of cancers. More studies need to be done in that area but it certainly looks promising. Its antimicrobial properties may also be effective at fighting colds and flus.
Include Ginger Daily
Want to increase your intake of ginger? Apart from this Mango Ginger Smoothie, we have many other recipes on our website that include this amazing ingredient, from soups such as our Carrot Asparagus Ginger Soup, or even a healthy snack like our Ginger Macadamia Balls . Next time you make a smoothie, remember to add a little ginger for a lot of healthy benefits.
Click here for the printable version of this recipe.
Prep time: 5 minutes
What you need:
- 1/2 frozen ripe banana
- 1/2 cup frozen mango pieces
- 1 cup leafy greens
- 1 inch cube gingerroot*, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp coconut yogurt
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 scoop unflavoured protein powder
- 1 tbsp sea moss gel (optional)
*If you are new to adding fresh ginger to your smoothie, start with a smaller amount.
What you do:
- Combine all ingredients in your high-speed blender and blend until you have a homogenous liquid.
- Pour into a glass jar and enjoy.
Nutrient Information Per Serving:
Fat 7g Carbs 34g Fibre 7g Sugar 19g Protein 24g
- You can use any non-dairy milk in this recipe.
- You can omit the yogurt and it won’t affect the taste.
- You can make this recipe with fresh, unfrozen banana and mango. It will just be less cold and thick.
- No flax seeds? Use chia seeds instead.
- You can replace the protein powder with 2 tbsp hemp seeds. Note that the protein count will go down.