Packed with good fats from nuts and antimicrobial power from the ginger, these energy balls are more than just a snack. They will satisfy your sweet tooth without adding unwanted refined sugar to your diet. Freeze them and you have a go-to snack when the munchies hit. Enjoy!
Makes 25-30 energy balls.
Prep time: 20 minutes
What you need:
- 3/4 cup pecans
- 3/4 cup macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup Brazil nuts
- 3/4 cup Medjool dates
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp grated gingerroot
- 2 tbsp raw cacao nibs (optional)
What you do:
- In a food processor, grind the pecans, macadamia nuts and Brazil nuts until you get a coarse crumbly mixture.
- Add the dates, almond butter, cocoa powder and fresh ginger. Continue blending in the food processor until you get a sticky mixture. You may need to scrape the sides a few times.
- If using cacao nibs, fold them into the mixture.
- Using your hands, take approximately 1 tbsp of mixture and roll into a ball. You will get between 25-30 balls depending on the size of each one.
- You can store in the fridge for a week or in the freezer for a month.
- Replace the fresh gingerroot with 1 tsp ginger powder.
- Replace the pecans/macadamia/Brazil nuts with any combination of nuts or seeds including almonds, cashews, walnuts, pumpkin seeds.
- Replace the almond butter with any nut butter.
- No Medjool dates? Use regular dates. Soak them in boiling water for 15 minutes to soften. Drain and add to the recipe.
- Want sweet and salty energy balls? Use roasted salted nuts.