Homemade Nut Milk with Sea Moss Gel
Homemade Nut Milk With Sea Moss Gel
I have been making nut milks for years, using various combos of nuts and seeds. However, I was looking for a way to get a thicker milk that would stay homogenous, even after a few days in the fridge. After some research, I found the perfect ingredient: sea moss. It is a natural thickener that gives milk a creamier fuller texture.
It is very easy to prepare the sea moss into gel. Only 5 steps and I was ready to go. I had a nice gelatinous odourless and tasteless mix that I could add to my homemade nut milk.
After doing some research, I also found out that sea moss has many health benefits, especially as a soothing and healing treatment for any mucous membrane in the body, especially the gut. What a bonus!
With this in mind, I prepared my favourite homemade nut milk using a combo of Brazil nuts and almonds. I added a little natural sweetness with some dates and vanilla. And with the sea moss gel, I now have the perfect finished product.
Makes approx. 4 cups
Prep time: 5 minutes (+ overnight for soaking)
What you need:
- 1/2 cup Brazil nuts (soaked overnight)
- 1/2 cup almonds (soaked overnight)
- 3-4 cups pure filtered water
- 1 date
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup sea moss gel
What you do:
- Drain and rinse the nuts. Add to your high-speed blender with the water, date, and vanilla. Blend on medium-high speed until well-blended. Use more or less water depending on how thick you want your milk.
- Place a nut bag over a large bowl. Pour the milk mixture into the nut bag and squeeze out all the liquid. Discard the pulp (or use in other recipes).
- Return the milk to the blender and add the sea moss gel. Blend for a few seconds.
- Pour into your clean Mason jars and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Replace the Brazil nuts and almonds with any other combo of nuts and seeds.
- If using the milk in savoury dishes, omit the dates and vanilla.
When it comes to food, the whole C’est La Vie Wellness team is on board. Some of us love to create while others enjoy testing some of our latest creations. Enjoy trying these recipes and please share pictures on your social media…and make sure to tag us! Bon appétit!